KML from Google Earth importing w/missing info

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

KML from Google Earth importing w/missing info

Postby Actuator » 2018-12-05 4:04

Hello,

I have just purchased the full version of the app because it was working so well for me for all other situations. Currently I am trying to import the following kml file but whenever I do the layers that I require are not there.

http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/kml/geo/layer ... loader.kml

When the same file is downloaded into Google Earth I am able to open the layers I require (Private, Crown, & Outline).

I need to be mobile with the information/maps, and am planning to use Map Plus on an iPad if I can ever figure it out!!

Thank you.
Actuator
★★

Re: KML from Google Earth importing w/missing info

Postby Zax » 2018-12-05 8:28

Please notice that this app only support static KMLs, which means all content, except some style related icons, should be saved within the file locally, no content should be dynamic and requires an online service to load or refresh.

But your KML is just a link to an online WMS services, which generate the content of the KML dynamic while you zoom in or out, and requires an Internet connection to download those dynamic content, this KML is just a definition of an map service, but not map content themselves, so it is not supported to be imported.

Anyway, the app provide other ways to connect to online WMS map services, although it requires some manual configuration.

To make is simple, please
1) Visit our Map Maker online tool
2) Copy and paste all following text to the "Encode" tab on the left. (Clean up all existing content if there is before the paste)

Code: [Select all]
My Map
http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/geo/pub/wms?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=EPSG:3857&CRS=EPSG:3857&LAYERS=pub:WHSE_BASEMAPPING.TRIM_MISCELLANEOUS_POINTS&STYLES=3340&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=true&WIDTH=256&HEIGHT=256&BBOX={$bbox_3857}
0-20;;;WM;;;;-140,47,-110,61;
Bash

Notice that the above configuration only contains layer of:pub:WHSE_BASEMAPPING.TRIM_MISCELLANEOUS_POINTS for a style of 3340.
You can add more layers and styles to the 2nd row, for example:
LAYERS=layer1,layer2,layer3&styles=style1,style2,style3
You should ensure the number of layers should be the same as the number of styles, one for each, and separate them with comma.

You can get all layer names and their style names by visiting:
http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/geo/pub/wms?r ... ervice=WMS

If you need higher resolution, edit the tile size from 256 to 512 by set: WIDTH=512&HEIGHT=512 in the url.

I'm sorry that I could not test and ensure if the above url works, because I don't know your business details, so that I don't know which layer at which region should have content. If you could provide such information, I'll provide a more tested one.

3) Click the QR-Code Tab on the right, click generate to get a QR-Code
4) Run Map Plus, go to User Data > Add > Import From QR-Code, point the camera to the qr-code
5) Tap the imported map in User Data > choose "Show on Map" to make it visible.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Postby Actuator » 2018-12-05 21:58

Hello Zax,

Thank you for your quick response. I looked into trying what you have suggested, but do not have the IT knowledge to complete it. Instead I have requested access to a static KML. Hopefully the government will be able to provide such a file.

The layers that I was looking for were:
Integrated Cadastral Fabric - Provincial Crown Ownership
Integrated Cadastral Fabric - Private Ownership
Integrated Cadastral Fabric - Outlined

This has been an issue for many people and we appreciate that you have explained why it was not working (now at least we understand), you have been very helpful!

Thank you very much!
Dave
Actuator
★★

Postby Zax » 2018-12-06 2:35

Following picture shows simple steps for using the online Map Maker:

use.png
use.png (319.59 KiB) Viewed 23 times

And you can refer to following online document for how to get the list of all (names of) layers and styles from a WMS service:
http://duweis.com/support/viewdoc.html? ... wmsurl#wms

For example, for the 3 layers you want,
You can find at http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/geo/pub/wms?request=GetCapabilities&service=WMS as:
Layer Name - Style Name
pub:WHSE_CADASTRE.CBM_CADASTRAL_FABRIC_PUB_SVW - 4735
pub:WHSE_CADASTRE.CBM_CADASTRAL_FABRIC_PUB_SVW - Private_ownership_centroids
pub:WHSE_CADASTRE.CBM_CADASTRAL_FABRIC_PUB_SVW - Integrated_Cadastral_Fabric_Outlined

So the final Encode configuration you can paste to Map Maker would be:

Code: [Select all]
Cadastral Fabric Map
http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/geo/pub/wms?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=EPSG:3857&CRS=EPSG:3857&LAYERS=pub:WHSE_CADASTRE.CBM_CADASTRAL_FABRIC_PUB_SVW,pub:WHSE_CADASTRE.CBM_CADASTRAL_FABRIC_PUB_SVW,pub:WHSE_CADASTRE.CBM_CADASTRAL_FABRIC_PUB_SVW&STYLES=4735,Private_ownership_centroids,Integrated_Cadastral_Fabric_Outlined&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=true&WIDTH=256&HEIGHT=256&BBOX={$bbox_3857}
0-20;;;WM;;;;-140,47,-110,61;
DOS

Anyway, we could not get any content from that map in our test, it maybe because the web service restrict the visitor's IP, or requires authorization, or because we do not know the exact area or region where may contains some data to view. So if you could provide a website where we could view that map online, or a screenshot and coordinates in lat and lon to indicates a region contains valid data to be viewed, we could go and help you further.

More, besides KML, most map providers hold their raw data in the format of .SHP (Esri Shape file), so if your map provider could give you a .shp formatted data file, or others such as TAB, GML, GeoJSON, they are all supported by Map Plus, and Map Plus could handle them with much better performance, comparing to KMLs.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums