Open Cycle Map Questions

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

Open Cycle Map Questions

Postby BGroverino » 2018-07-06 1:52

I'm planning a multi-day cycling route in Japan using Open Cycle Map as the base. I'm doing most of the heavy lifting in Google Maps then importing KMZ and the process works great. The problem is, out in the field, away from wi-fi, I can only zoom in to about level 15. Any more and the screen goes blank. At home or with a good connection I can zoom way in. Is this related to the "samples" or a setting I'm missing or poorly conceived architecture? Moreover, the base map takes significant time to load when connected to wifi which seems to indicate that the base is downloading rather than using the on-board samples at extreme zoom levels.

The other thing about Open Cycle Map is the "API Key Required" watermark. I have set up an account at the home of Open Cycle Map, have entered the "Auth. User Name" and the "Auth. Password" which I'm assuming is the "API Key" [It would be helpful to be consistent on the nomenclature] but still I get the annoying watermark.

For the most part these shouldn't affect navigation in any practical sense. However there are times when having the additional zoom would help in route finding. I paid for the full monty specifically because of the offline functionality, I'd like to be able to use it.... Is there any way to force Map+ to preload and cache the mapped areas I need? I have plenty of disk space and plenty of RAM on an iPad Pro.
BGroverino
★★

Re: Open Cycle Map Questions

Postby Zax » 2018-07-06 3:17

BGroverino wrote:away from wi-fi, I can only zoom in to about level 15

Please ensure you did not turn on the "Offline Mode", which indicates the map should never try to download online content, and should only load content from caches, means the regions you previously viewed when "Offline Mode" is off.

BGroverino wrote:which seems to indicate that the base is downloading rather than using the on-board samples at extreme zoom levels.

We are using Apple's Mapkit API as the underneath map structure, although we could hide Apple's map layer and only show your custom one, but we could not control whether and when this Apple API would try to download map content for cache or any other purposes, which means, although you choose "None/Disable" for system map layer, it might still generate network data flow.

BGroverino wrote:The other thing about Open Cycle Map is the "API Key Required" watermark.

First, the user-name and password fields are supported only by maps who allows "Basic Authorization" via HTTP protocol, you may ask your map provider to ensure whether it supports this kind of authorization.
Then, for apikey of Thunderforest's Open Cycle Map, please apply for a key edit the “URL Pattern” directly and add the key as a request parameters, like:
https://tile.thunderforest.com/cycle/{$z}/{$x}/{$y}.png?apikey=<insert-your-apikey-here>
If you are using map from opencyclemap.org, ask their support team for how to add this key to you url.

BGroverino wrote:Is there any way to force Map+ to preload and cache the mapped areas I need?

Please use the Download Map feature of this app, which could download map content of a specified region for some specified zoom levels from a specified map source(google or open cycle for example). And the downloaded map would be saved as an independent item in User Data that you can copy, share, delete or move to different folders.

Here are doc on that: https://duweis.com/support/viewdoc.html ... =056_dlmap

Attention to the copyright and user terms of the map provider, since they may require you a written permission or payment for bulk downloading of their map content.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Re: Open Cycle Map Questions

Postby BGroverino » 2018-07-08 6:04

Thanx Zax for the quick response and the precise answers.
BGroverino
★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums