Exporting images & CSV - filenames

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

Exporting images & CSV - filenames

Postby Stefan Banua » 2018-04-17 1:37

I want to export the images AND a CSV of the same images together with their locations and date/time taken. I don’t understand how to set the filenames of the image to the file name in the CSV. I would prefer the original filename of the image, but if they are both unique and the same in the.jpg and CSV row then it doesn’t matter.
Possible?
Stefan Banua
★★

Re: Exporting images & CSV - filenames

Postby Zax » 2018-04-17 3:17

Stefan Banua wrote:I want to export the images AND a CSV of the same images together with their locations and date/time taken. I don’t understand how to set the filenames of the image to the file name in the CSV. I would prefer the original filename of the image, but if they are both unique and the same in the.jpg and CSV row then it doesn’t matter.
Possible?

In the current v2.7.3 or bellow versions of Map Plus, the internal image file names are exported to CSV as a column named "MEDIA", which looks like "D10034M25034.jpg".

But currently, the export of "Image/Video Files" uses different naming rules, which uses the title of the photo as the exported file name, and that does not match the names in CSV.
We'll try to fix that in the next update by adding a new option for "Image/Video Files" exporting, which could specify a naming rule of (Internal Naming) so that to match the file names in CSV or other file formats.

Before that, there is a trick (little bit complicated) for exporting images with internal names same as the CSV with the current version:
1, Select and export as CSV
2, Select same photos and export as KMZ, ensure you did not turn on the "Compress Images" option while exporting.
3, Copy the CSV and KMZ to your desktop PC
4, Rename the .KMZ file as .ZIP
5, Unzip the .ZIP to a folder, which should contain a sub-folder named "files"
6, Enter the "files" folder, and all images are there with the proper names.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Postby Stefan Banua » 2018-04-17 6:35

Thanks. The KMZ thing workaround does the trick for now. I do look forward to the update though.
BTW, can rename the KMZ and unzip without leaving the iPad: use the Documents app and then export straight to google drive, which is where they need to go.
Still have the "_C" at the end of the file name in the KMZ, which I have to remove on the Mac using find and replace. I then can also copy the files in Finder, and paste in TextEdit, and rename that one as a CSV, then copy that and the coordinates and date from the exported CSV, and paste into google sheets. It works, but I less convoluted feature in the Mapplus App would be most helpful and welcome. :)
Stefan Banua
★★

Postby Zax » 2018-04-17 7:32

If you want to rename and unzip the file on device, please going to settings > Files and Documents, find the kmz file there, tap and choose "Open in...", then select a 3rd-party app which supports file renaming and unzipping.

The "_C" indicates the photo is original formatted as HEIC, the default image format for the latest iOS devices and system while the photo is taken by Apple's own camera app. This format is much smaller and more efficient than JPG or PNG, but it is an Apple format, which is not supported by many software such as Windows, Photoshop, Web Browsers, Google Earth, etc. While exporting to KMZ, we suppose you want to view it with its default editor, the Google Earth, so we convert all *.HEIC images to *.JPG, and add a suffix of "_C" (means Converted) as the mark for that.

This only happens to photos you imported from system album.

To avoid that for future images, there are 3 ways:
1, Always use Map Plus to take the photos
2, Change the iOS's system Settings > Camera > Formats > choose "Most Compatible", which force the iOS to shoot and save photo in JPG.
3, Turning on the "Compress Image" option while exporting KMZ, which result in all image files to be appended with "_R" (means Resized), such as D111M33_R.jpg, then you can edit the CSV with Excel, Numbers, or Google Sheet to bulk appending the "_R" suffix to all file names with a simple formula.

In the next update, there will be no such suffix issue, all images would be exported with the exact name as the CSV, or matter they are Converted, Resized or not.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Postby Stefan Banua » 2018-04-17 9:33

Excellent! Thank you very much
Stefan Banua
★★

Postby Stefan Banua » 2018-04-20 1:24

And thank for today's update. The filenames now match (image exports and CSV).

Just one more question: the location info (gps coordinates) are in a column called "geometry". They are prefixed with the word "POINT" And in brackets. Any reason for this? I can fairly easily remove them with find and replace but it would be nicer if only the coordinates were there.

In any case the CSV gives me the essential information I need: date taken, location and filename. Thanks again
Stefan Banua
★★

Postby Stefan Banua » 2018-04-20 2:40

Oh dear.
One more thing. The coordinates are reversed. I can't find a setting to change the order in the app...
This is what is exported to the GEOMETRY column.
POINT (124.739242 1.612408)

This is what it should like like:
Stefan Banua
★★

Postby Stefan Banua » 2018-04-20 2:48

Update: Lat Long order issue can be solved by exported longitude and latitude as separate columns and CONCATENATE :D
Stefan Banua
★★

Postby Zax » 2018-04-23 2:26

The format of the GEOMETRY column, which looks like POINT(lon, lat) is because:

That is a standard format in the GIS (Geographic Information System) world, which is named as "WKT" (The well-known text), could be recognized by many professional GIS (desktop) applications easily. Which means, if you are using other GIS software to handle those CSV, they may require all coordinates to be formatted in that way.

Anyway, as you found, turning on the export option of the Latitude & Longitude Columns to export coordinates of places as separated latitude and longitude columns.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums