Zoom in

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

Zoom in

Postby rhenriques » 2017-11-03 0:04

Please lift the zoom limit, even if the basemap does not allow it. I had to work in an area of about 100x100 meters, where points were dense, and it´s impossible to discriminate 2 points separated by 1 meter, collected with an RTK GPS and imported to MP. Allow the user to Zoom as he wish. To avoid getting lost if the zoom is to high, add a zoom to layer (or zoom to features) option or anything similar.
Cheers
rhenriques
★★

Re: Zoom in

Postby Zax » 2017-11-03 1:11

rhenriques wrote:Please lift the zoom limit, even if the basemap does not allow it. I had to work in an area of about 100x100 meters, where points were dense, and it´s impossible to discriminate 2 points separated by 1 meter, collected with an RTK GPS and imported to MP. Allow the user to Zoom as he wish. To avoid getting lost if the zoom is to high, add a zoom to layer (or zoom to features) option or anything similar.
Cheers

Really sorry but this function seems really hard to implement.

The app is now using the iOS's MapKit as the basic map architecture, which handles the map's tiling, zooming, scrolling, tilt, etc. Although we've done a not to optimized it for GIS, but the zooming limitation is set and fixed by the MapKit and no way to alter.

The reason why we choose iOS's MapKit API, not Google's or any else, is because it is smaller, faster and has more flexibility for an app to control the appearances of features, for example, custom animations for photo annotations to merge.

We have to switch to another map API, or develop our own, so that we could remove the zooming limitations, but these might bring some new issues, for example:
1) If use Google Map iOS API, which does not support using in China, but as you know, we are a Chinese team and have lots of Chinese users.
2) If we develope an underneath map engine of our own, or use some 3rd party open-source APIs, then we have no fund to purchase for a global map data of the whole world, which means this app would no longer be embedded with a base global map any more, and become a CAD tool like ArcGIS, QGIS, etc. That would dissatisfy our travel and outdoor users.
3) If use some commercial map APIs such as Mapbox, their price is too high when user amount grows, as you know, our public app is free and we could not control how many users will use it, and could not afford the price of such API for public usages.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Re: Zoom in

Postby rhenriques » 2017-11-03 9:26

Hi Zax

Thank you so much for the elaborated answer. I thought that the reason why this limitation occurs was precisely that one. It's understandable. However maybe you could provide a "no background" mode or something similar to avoid this problem. Sometimes background maps are not needed at all. Even so, this Package is easily among the two best ones I'm now using for iOS. Congratulations and keep on the good work.
Best Regards
rhenriques
★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums