Own Imagery in app

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

Own Imagery in app

Postby Karich » 2017-10-04 16:20

Hello,

Isn’t it possible to import jp2 (jpeg2000) format imagery into the app? I tried importing (3GB) and I could see it in the files but the app wouldn’t read it. What are the imagery formats that the app supports? Do I need to convert it and how do I do that?

Thanks!!
Karich
★★

Re: Own Imagery in app

Postby Sterntaucher » 2017-10-11 12:11

Hi there,

I also tried to import and use my own symbols / signs in personalized maps and tried different file formats.

Most design freedom you will get wih .png files. This file format supports transparencies so you can draw e.g. a round sign and it will be shown in that round (or what shape ever) in your map.

Cheers
Sterntaucher
★★

Postby Karich » 2017-10-16 10:37

I actually mean uploading my own Satellite Imagery to be used as the background instead of Google, etc.
Karich
★★

Postby Sterntaucher » 2017-10-17 18:05

Hi Karich,

obviously your thread's headline was somehow not clear for me.

As I see now, you want to make and use your own customized map, with own map tiles.
That is possible, I suggest to read the Users Manual, especially the topic "How to Use Images as Map Layers".

After that and after some try and error even me was able to create own maps for online / offline usage.

Cheers :-)
Sterntaucher
★★

Postby Zax » 2017-10-23 12:54

The app only provides common image support same as the iOS system, any image viewable with iOS's native apps, such as Photo, Safari, could be imported as image overlay to the app.

The support of image overlay is very limited, although we support custom boundary setting and rotation, but not geo-specified, which means all metadata, such as Georeferencing info, CRS, GCPs of the images would never be loaded. There is no difference for using a PNG than a GeoTiff.

At last, about the performance. The image overlay is designed for small or normal images, for example, images less than 50MB. For a 3GB image, the loading and tiling(drawing) would be extremely slow, although the app support caches to make it faster for drawing the same region at the same zoom level, but it is not suggested to use in that way.

For huge images, > 500MB for example, it is suggested to convert it to pre-tiled format before importing to this app. With some free tools, you can georeferencing and tile down a huge image into tiles and save it as a *.mbtiles file, following article shows how:
http://www.duweis.com/support/viewdoc.h ... bt&from=mp
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums