Scale bar in Maps

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

Scale bar in Maps

Postby Sterntaucher » 2017-07-12 13:13

Hi there,

when using MapPlus in the fields, I can zoom in or out precisely by two fingers. That is great and easy to use.

BUT: to estimate distances while using the map, a scale bar is shown on top of the screen. This scale shows a bar, it's length is shown right under that bar (for example 30 meters) and the used map zoom level is shown.

The length of the scale bar does not zoom in the same way I zoom the map itself (without steps). It shows the scale wihin fixed steps and doesnt change it's length when I zoom the map lesser than a certain thresold.

This is really sometimes a problem. The Scale bar says 200m, in reality that distance can range from 150m to 300m.

Could you improve that scale bar in one of the next updates so that the right distance is shown continuously?

Thank's for that great app!
Sterntaucher
★★

Re: Scale bar in Maps

Postby Zax » 2017-07-12 16:29

Sterntaucher wrote:Hi there,

when using MapPlus in the fields, I can zoom in or out precisely by two fingers. That is great and easy to use.

BUT: to estimate distances while using the map, a scale bar is shown on top of the screen. This scale shows a bar, it's length is shown right under that bar (for example 30 meters) and the used map zoom level is shown.

The length of the scale bar does not zoom in the same way I zoom the map itself (without steps). It shows the scale wihin fixed steps and doesnt change it's length when I zoom the map lesser than a certain thresold.

This is really sometimes a problem. The Scale bar says 200m, in reality that distance can range from 150m to 300m.

Could you improve that scale bar in one of the next updates so that the right distance is shown continuously?

Thank's for that great app!

The purpose of the stepped scale length is for providing a easy-to-understand number, for example, a distance shows 1324.45 km is not clear enough comparing to 1000 km. Please also notice that for a projected map, the scale is different for different area of the map, the value of the scale bar only indicates the scale at the center of the map, but only the whole viewport, especially when map zoom out too much. Which means the scale bar is just designed for a rough indication, not accurate measuring.

If you do want continuous and accurate distances for a point to its nearby, please use the "Measuring" tool instead and try to drag the end point the measuring line to detect distances from different places to a specified point.

You can also add a label of the expression of "[:meters]" to a polyline, so that while you edit it, the distance of the line would change and shown on the line as a label.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Postby Sterntaucher » 2017-07-12 19:47

thnks a lot for your detailed answer.

I know, that the skale's length is valid for longitude only and depends on the map's scale itself.

My suggestion was a scale with a fixed value steps (e.g. 100m - 200m - 500m 1km...) right under a continuous adapted length of the scale line. The length of that line additionally jumps to the referring length when the next value is reached.

This solution won't make the existing scale bar less precisely in large scales, but much more user friendly in smaller scales (e.g. for hiking, biking, scientfic issues)

Anyway - thanks for Your great app and support!

Stefan
Sterntaucher
★★

Postby Zax » 2017-07-13 10:15

Sterntaucher wrote:My suggestion was a scale with a fixed value steps (e.g. 100m - 200m - 500m 1km...) right under a continuous adapted length of the scale line. The length of that line additionally jumps to the referring length when the next value is reached.

Thanks a lot for your explanation.
We'll try to optimize the design in the next release based on your suggestion.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Postby Sterntaucher » 2017-10-23 18:23

Zax wrote:
Sterntaucher wrote:My suggestion was a scale with a fixed value steps (e.g. 100m - 200m - 500m 1km...) right under a continuous adapted length of the scale line. The length of that line additionally jumps to the referring length when the next value is reached.

Thanks a lot for your explanation.
We'll try to optimize the design in the next release based on your suggestion.

You optimized it really great in the latest release (4 days ago). A pleasure to use now. THANKS A LOT !!
Sterntaucher
★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums