how to get 5 star rating from me

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

how to get 5 star rating from me

Postby baidarkabob » 2017-06-24 16:35

Hi,

I recently submitted a review on the itunes store and the developer asked me to let them know how to get a 5 star review from me. Here is that feedback.

The Map Plus app is a very powerful and versatile tool for navigation. I really wish the help system was more complete and available from within the app while offline so I could take advantage of more features.

The styling of shapefiles is very flexible and I appreciate that but I do wish that there was a way to control styling that was easier to manage. I am learning how to use the coding but it is challenging and here again the help system is just a little bit hard for me to follow.

Would be great if you supported the apple pencil for drawing lines and polygon features, and taking measurements.

I use Fulcrum App for data collection and they offer a very cool feature where the video recorded in the app displays the direction that the camera was facing during playback.

Along the lines of the Fulcrum App, it would be nice to be able to create a basic data entry form for editing shapefiles.

I may not have explored the app enough to figure out how to do this if it is a feature that is available - syncing user data between devices using a service like dropbox, google drive, box, etc.

The base map download process frequently results in errors. I do not know what those mean or if Duwei has any control over that at all but if it is possible to improve this system, even with just a better explanation of what the errors are about and what the consequences of ignoring them are, that would be appreciated.

That is the list off the top of my head. I really do think this is the best overall mapping app for iOS and really appreciate the work of the developers.

b
baidarkabob
★★

Re: how to get 5 star rating from me

Postby Zax » 2017-07-10 6:21

baidarkabob wrote:Hi,

I recently submitted a review on the itunes store and the developer asked me to let them know how to get a 5 star review from me. Here is that feedback.

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback and great suggestions, which really help us a lot for improve the app.

Just some comments on your concerns.

It would be nice to be able to create a basic data entry form for editing shapefiles
Actually you can customize a input form with HTML( + CSS + Javascript) for such purpose. You can edit the form as the “Notes” of a feature class so that all associated features would reuse it.
Here are some details:
http://www.duweis.com/support/viewdoc.h ... k=050_html
Please focus on the section 3. Editing Custom Properties with HTML of that article.

syncing user data between devices using a service like dropbox, google drive, box, etc.

You can exchange data with a cloud service but you have to do it manually in current version.
as steps bellow.
1) User Data > Select > select all you want to exchange or sync > share > Open In.. > Choose a cloud app which should have been installed on the same device, such as Google Drive, Drop box, etc.
2) Choose export type as MPZ.
3) After data archived, the app would jump to the select app, and you can do sync operation there, such as upload, download.
4) On another device, run the dropbox app or else, do the sync so that mpz file could be downloaded from the cloud, then tap the file and choose to Open In... in our app, then set the import option.

The base map download process frequently results in errors
Please notice that most online map services are reluctant to allow end users to bulk download their commercial map content via a 3rd party software. Anyway, if you get a written permission or already handled the copyright issues, then choose a better map service would improve that a lot. For example, try to use goole/bing map instead of Open Street Map.

The app is so flexible that you choose to download from any popular online map services, please refer to: http://www.duweis.com/support/viewdoc.h ... _onlinemap for more details of adding a custom online map.

For some map providers, they may limited the total size of data download by a single client within a specified period, so make the download region smaller or less zoom levels to avoid reaching the limits.

Then, while downloading, please tap the "Options" button on the toolbar of downloading progress, and choose to ignore some errors, such as "Ignore Images Errors", which makes it to skip those tiles that are not a image (for example, no data is exists for that region of the specified zoom level).

At last, to improve the map downloading, you can set a "Referer" property to the online map, which make the map server though you are from their known servers, for example, set the Referer as "https://www.openstreetmap.org/" for open street maps.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Postby pmb » 2018-01-29 20:15

Hi Zax,
Great app, been using it for years now.
A sync button on the settings drop down menu would be a brilliant addition so that a group could update all the user data files to the latest version from a Dropbox file?
Keep up the good work
pmb
★★

Postby Zax » 2018-01-30 2:04

Thanks for your feedback.

Please notice that the group synchronization function could not be supported so easy if requires good experience.
We need to:
1) Build us a user and group system, so that each user could decide who to share/sync.
2) We need to build a central data server so that the syncing device could find out which part of data has been changed and always perform an incremental sync, instead of downloading the whole data.
3) If we use Dropbox to sync, we need to include Dropbox's native API and their user login UIs so that we could access the online data of Dropbox within our app.

Thes changes are really too big for current app's architecture, we could not easily start on that.
Anyway, we are planning a new GIS app to be designed with online services and data storage, although there is exactly schedule for it now.

At last, with current app, as suggested, we wish you could use: "MPZ Exporting + Synchronized Import + Dropbox" to achieve an incremental sync purpose.
1) Device 1 selected all changed (edited or added) data in User Data, choose "share" > "Open In..." > MPZ > Dropbox.
2) Device 1 tries to share the MPZ file or its folder's link to Device 2.
3) Device 2 run Dropbox, sync the MPZ file, select it > "Open In..." > "copy to Map Plus".
4) Now iOS switch to Map Plus automatically and start importing the MPZ, you just need to ensure the "Synchronized Import" option is turned on, to avoid creating duplicated data.

Anyway, if your data scale is not so large, you can use the backup and restore file format, the .MPR, instead of the .MPZ to do the same thing, which ensures the restored data is exactly the same as the backup.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Postby pmb » 2018-01-30 13:11

Thanks for the explanation Zax,
👍
pmb
★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums