External GPS by Bad Elf

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

External GPS by Bad Elf

Postby John Peters » 2017-02-21 14:19

I purchased this full package of Map pro and I also bought the external Bad Elf Surveyor bluetooth GPS unit, Will this app default to the Bluetooth GP for better acuracy then the iPhone internal GPS? If so, is there a way to add an setting to show what GPS unit the app is using?
John Peters
★★

Re: External GPS by Bad Elf

Postby Zax » 2017-02-21 15:01

John Peters wrote:I purchased this full package of Map pro and I also bought the external Bad Elf Surveyor bluetooth GPS unit, Will this app default to the Bluetooth GP for better acuracy then the iPhone internal GPS? If so, is there a way to add an setting to show what GPS unit the app is using?

The management of all external GPS accessories is fully controlled by the iOS system itself, as a 3rd party app, we have no idea where the location retrieved from the system is come from, and Apple did not provide tools or want us to do so. Please refer to the hardware's user manual or contact Apple's iOS support team for more details about how they are connected and switched.

In my opinion, you do not need to worry about which one is chosen, because the system's choice is alway better than you, because it has much more realtime information (such as accuracy, how many satellite are connected, etc.) about the both sides to help making a better decision. Maybe, iOS have much complicated and better solution to mix the result together, for example, using the online data to help your external unit scanning faster.

Follow the external accessory's using manual would always be best practise.

Anyway, if you prefer the bluetooth accessory very much, you can turn the device into Plane Mode so that the embedded GPS will be disabled, and the external one then will be always used.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Re: External GPS by Bad Elf

Postby John Peters » 2017-02-22 2:38

Thanks, something weird with my phone, If I put it in airplane mode with no bluetooth the app still tracks my movements. Im not sure if airplane mode turns off the gps chipset.
John Peters
★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums