Imported .shp waypoint files - no names, titles

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

Imported .shp waypoint files - no names, titles

Postby Jan » 2016-12-29 1:49

Hello,

I have just started looking at Map Plus to see if I can use it to send waypoint files back and forth from my iPhone to QGIS on my desktop computer. I use .shp files in QGIS because they can be edited there, whereas other file formats like CSV cannot be edited, unfortunately. I successfully transferred five files containing hundreds of waypoints via iTunes, and all register correctly on the map, but all of them appear in Map Plus as "not titled." In QGIS each waypoint has a specific name (these are archaeological sites). I need to have names available on my iPhone. I would also like to see their coordinates and altitudes. How can I make this work?

A related question: I might consider migrating my waypoint .shp files to GeoCSV, since that is a relatively new format that can be edited within QGIS. I would need to figure out how to reformat my existing files first. Does Map Plus support the GeoCSV format?

Thanks!
Jan
★★

Re: Imported .shp waypoint files - no names, titles

Postby Zax » 2016-12-29 4:04

Jan wrote: I need to have names available on my iPhone.

While importing, in the import option screen, tap the layer name, scroll down, find the "ASSOCIATED SYSTEM FIELD" section, tap the link button next to the "Title" (in the 2nd row), then choose a attribute name which you want to be used as system field of "Title".
More details about import option, please read this.

Jan wrote: I would also like to see their coordinates and altitudes. How can I make this work?

If you want to display coords when selected on map, toggle the map to edit mode by tapping the tool(wrench) button and choose "Edit" on the main screen. You can also check coordinate of points by select them and go to its detail information screen.
If you want them to be displayed as the label on the map, please enable the the label display and use the label expression as steps shown bellow.
1) Go the the associated feature class of the imported layer. You may find it in the User Data next to the imported folder, and it has a library icon.
2) Tap Edit
3) Add Style > Show Label > Enable
4) Add Style > Label > Input following text(in blue) as the label: [latitude] + ", " + [longitude]
5) Tap Apply
More details on using label expression: read this.
More details on using feature class: read this.

Jan wrote:Does Map Plus support the GeoCSV format?

Map Plus support its own CSV format, anyway, with office softwares such as Excel, Numbers, you can easily convert it to any other CSV format with different header row and column index. Because Map Plus's CSV is using standard WKT as the geometry format, it might be very simple for reusing them in other GIS tools.
More details about app's own CSV format: read this
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Postby Jan » 2016-12-31 1:44

Thanks for the detailed reply. Your suggestions worked, and I now have access to the names of the points and to their coordinates. It looks like this will be a good app to use with QGIS.
The QGIS plugin QTiles works very well to export MB Tiles so that they can be imported into Map Plus, by the way. I was able to import a high-resolution topo map with a zoom level of 18.
Jan
★★

Postby Zax » 2016-12-31 2:46

Jan wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply. Your suggestions worked, and I now have access to the names of the points and to their coordinates. It looks like this will be a good app to use with QGIS.
The QGIS plugin QTiles works very well to export MB Tiles so that they can be imported into Map Plus, by the way. I was able to import a high-resolution topo map with a zoom level of 18.

Yes, and you can also use the TileMill to render SHP/KMZ/Tiff as mbtiles, and the Map Plus itself do support download an online map service, such as WMS, Google, to a tiled offline file, which works just the same as mbtiles for offline use with high performance. (http://www.duweis.com/support/viewdoc.h ... =056_dlmap)

What's more, please notice that this app could do real-time vector rendering, which means you can import SHP/TAB/GML/GeoJSON/KMZ etc. directly and view or edit them in the app, just like you do in QGIS. With vector data and realtime rendering, you do not have to prepare a large file of pre-rendered raster tiles like mbtiles, which saves many storage of your mobile flash.

More, for vector data and realtime rendering, the "Feature Class" would helps you manage the shared/common styles, callout window layout, attributes at one place for thousands of features. Which might be similar as the role of "Layers" in QGIS, but more flexible. Please take a look if you are interested: http://www.duweis.com/support/viewdoc.h ... atureclass
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums