Import data from Dropbox / iCloud

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

Import data from Dropbox / iCloud

Postby Malauch » 2016-10-02 11:52

I would like to know if it is possible to import files (for example SHP or MBtiles files) from Dropbox? Export works like a charm but I didn't find any option to export via Dropbox only via Wifi or iTunes to Mac. I would like to achieve situation when iPad with Map Plus will be only device needed to import, collect, and export geospatial data on the field.
Malauch
★★

Re: Import data from Dropbox / iCloud

Postby Zax » 2016-10-02 12:47

Malauch wrote:I would like to know if it is possible to import files (for example SHP or MBtiles files) from Dropbox? Export works like a charm but I didn't find any option to export via Dropbox only via Wifi or iTunes to Mac. I would like to achieve situation when iPad with Map Plus will be only device needed to import, collect, and export geospatial data on the field.

iCloud

1) To export to iCloud, please choose "Save to iCloud" as the share method, besides choosing "Save to Document".
2) To import from iCloud, please tap the "icloud" button at the top-right of the file picking screen, besides the "document" button.

Please notice that all files saved to iCloud are in Map Plus's own iCloud folder(container), which means other apps could not access them directly, but Map Plus installed on different devices can.

Dropbox

1) To get file from dropbox to Map Plus. Install Dropbox app on the same device, try to select the file in Dropbox app, and choose "Open In", then choose Map Plus as the app to open it. This will copy the file to Map Plus, then you can start a importing to import it. More details plz refer to:
http://www.duweis.com/support/viewdoc.h ... pp&from=mp
2) To send files to dropbox, similar way and you can refer to this article:
http://www.duweis.com/support/viewdoc.h ... penin#file
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Postby Hellej » 2017-05-17 14:00

Trying to import a .shp-file from dropbox generates an error. I guess this is because it needs additional files, but even if these files are located in the same folder, it does not work. Importing from iCloud works fine after downloading all associated files.

What is even more inconvenient is that it is not possible to move/copy files from dropbox to iClouds Map Plus folder in IOS: only the .shp-files can be written but not the other ones. So, if I'm not mistaken, when using only an iPad it is not possible to import shapefiles from dropbox to Map Plus.

I think the user manual could be more clear on this (even if it is not incorrect in its present state). It would be great if importing from dropbox could work the same way as importing from iCloud.
Hellej
★★

Postby Zax » 2017-05-17 14:32

Hellej wrote:Trying to import a .shp-file from dropbox generates an error. I guess this is because it needs additional files, but even if these files are located in the same folder, it does not work. Importing from iCloud works fine after downloading all associated files.

What is even more inconvenient is that it is not possible to move/copy files from dropbox to iClouds Map Plus folder in IOS: only the .shp-files can be written but not the other ones. So, if I'm not mistaken, when using only an iPad it is not possible to import shapefiles from dropbox to Map Plus.

I think the user manual could be more clear on this (even if it is not incorrect in its present state). It would be great if importing from dropbox could work the same way as importing from iCloud.

SHP needs more than one files, but the Open In feature in iOS could only send one file each time, to resolve this, please
Archive all shp related files as a ZIP in dropbox, and then use the "Open In" feature to send it to the app.

Then within the app, you can do the "unzip" and then import.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums