Very slow offline download

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

Very slow offline download

Postby ck_Bee » 2016-07-29 6:16

Love the app

The only problem I have is that the off line maps take a VERY long time to download. I'm using an iPhone 6s and it takes 24 hours to download a 300mb map in the App using Wifi (70 mb/s). As a comparison, a 600mb map in google maps takes less than a minute to download offline.

What am I doing wrong?
ck_Bee
★★

Re: Very slow offline download

Postby Zax » 2016-07-29 9:30

ck_Bee wrote:Love the app

The only problem I have is that the off line maps take a VERY long time to download. I'm using an iPhone 6s and it takes 24 hours to download a 300mb map in the App using Wifi (70 mb/s). As a comparison, a 600mb map in google maps takes less than a minute to download offline.

What am I doing wrong?

Please notice that you can link to any online map sources to view and download, and the speed of downloading is fully depending on the online map service.

The app is embedded with the Open Street Map, anyway, we're not the map holder, and since it is a free map, it is quit slow for downloading. So it is suggested to add more custom online maps which could be used for viewing and downloading. Which means if you add Google map as a custom online map, you can experience the same downloading speed.

For how to add custom online maps, please refer to: How to Add Custom Online Maps
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Postby ck_Bee » 2016-07-29 12:00

Thanks, that sounds really promising.

Are there any instructions for adding a custom google map? The instructions in your link (and QR code process) only refer to Open Street Map. I can't see how to apply those to google maps.

Thanks again
ck_Bee
★★

Postby Zax » 2016-07-29 14:34

ck_Bee wrote:Thanks, that sounds really promising.

Are there any instructions for adding a custom google map? The instructions in your link (and QR code process) only refer to Open Street Map. I can't see how to apply those to google maps.

Thanks again

For Google Maps, please try to download from online sample maps by following the article of: http://www.duweis.com/support/viewdoc.h ... 0_dlsample
for retina (high-resolution) Google maps, please manually edit the "URL pattern" of these sample maps by editing URL param of the "scale=1" to "scale=2"

More QR code for google and other maps, please check the dropbox share: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f65mkf9s2d2e ... -NXGa?dl=0

Please also notice that their might be copyright issues if your try to download map tiles from Google, you should take full responsibility for all your behaviours, or read Google's user terms carefully before continue.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums