Create line by drawing

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

Create line by drawing

Postby Rwallx » 2016-06-30 16:36

Map Plus is developing into a very useful tool for geologists. A barrier to ease of use, however, is the method used to create lines. The current method is very clunky and non-intuitive: as soon as you choose, create line, you get an arbitrary segmented line that you have to start dragging vertices to fit the form that you want.

It would be great to be able to creat line just by starting to draw on the screen with an Apple Pencil, sort of like freehand drawing on photos. One would also need an alternative method for finger rather than stylus input. Programs like Field Move and GIS Pro offer several different methods, all of which work more smoothly than Map Plus' current method.
Rwallx
★★

Re: Create line by drawing

Postby davenquinn » 2017-02-12 10:22

This would be an excellent addition, as point-based line input is slow for drawing on a map.
davenquinn
★★

Postby Zax » 2017-02-13 1:09

Rwallx wrote:however, is the method used to create lines..

You can have a try of the "fast add" function.

1) Toggle the map to editing mode,
2) Drop a new line, or select a line you want to edit, and choose edit > "Adjust Points".
3) Select a control point (existing coordinate) of a line where you want to add point next to it, and then choose "fast add"
4) Following tappings on the map would be appended as new points next to the selected control point. You can continually tap the map to add more than one point, and tap any other control point of the same line would quite "fast add"

Anyway, we're considering of a new fashion editing way in future versions, and thanks for your great suggestion.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Postby antonvs » 2017-05-05 23:06

I too find Map Plus a great mapping app and I find the Current way of creating a track by streatching nodes is slow but very accurate compared to other apps I have tried that use a drawing method. It is possible to refine it as accurately as possible by continually adding and dragging nodes.

An alternate and fast way might be what I would call a "hybrid" method. Start by creating a route, putting in a start and end point so that the bulk of the work is done automatically. Then if Map Plus had the ability to convert the route to a track where you could turn on edit mode where the track was broken into nodes and you could then modify the track as now by "adjusting the points (nodes)"
antonvs
★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums