Extruded Polygons? 3D mode recommendations

Map Plus helps, usage, issues, bug report, downloads...

Extruded Polygons? 3D mode recommendations

Postby ndoggac » 2014-07-31 13:12

I love the Map Plus 3D mode, where you can use two fingers to lower the elevation of view. However it is a bit awkward to access, and I can't always do it when I want. I'm thinking it is sometimes not allowed based on the underlying maps?

A few recommendations to improve 3D use...

Make 3D a "mode" of sorts specifically for navigation purposes where you can add view adjustments, etc just for that view mode. A mode you can easily switch back and forth from 2D top down view.

Improve the ability to zoom in and out and adjust the angle of view while in the 3D (autorotate) view.

Add the ability to auto-rotate based on GPS direction, rather than just compass.

Add support for extruded polygons in KML files
http://kml-samples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/interactive/index.html#./Polygons/Polygons.Absolute.kml

Thanks again for all your great work!
ndoggac
★★

Re: Extruded Polygons? 3D mode recommendations

Postby Zax » 2014-08-01 1:10

ndoggac wrote:I love the Map Plus 3D mode, where you can use two fingers to lower the elevation of view. However it is a bit awkward to access, and I can't always do it when I want. I'm thinking it is sometimes not allowed based on the underlying maps?

A few recommendations to improve 3D use...

Make 3D a "mode" of sorts specifically for navigation purposes where you can add view adjustments, etc just for that view mode. A mode you can easily switch back and forth from 2D top down view.

Improve the ability to zoom in and out and adjust the angle of view while in the 3D (autorotate) view.

Add the ability to auto-rotate based on GPS direction, rather than just compass.

Add support for extruded polygons in KML files
http://kml-samples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/interactive/index.html#./Polygons/Polygons.Absolute.kml

Thanks again for all your great work!

Thanks a lot for your great suggestions.

Currently, Map Plus is using the map engine/framework of MapKit embedded in iOS, which has limited 3D features and it is impossible to implement 3D extrusion for now.

The two-finger-tilt feature is also from iOS MapKit, and we could do nothing to improve its experience. It would only be improved while Apple do something in their new release of iOS.

We are already planning to start our own map engine developing with full 3D support, but it may take long time and we are really lack of people.
Zax Zeng
Duwei Technology
Zax
★★★★★

Return to Map Plus - Forums